Wednesday 30 April 2014

Aesop's Fable Research 8


Drypoint Etching

Kitten by John Douglas Piper

Eurasian Wren by John Douglas Piper

Common Frog by John Douglas Piper

The close attention to the crafting of a line and of an object, so central to John’s creative education and work, lends itself particularly well to the highly exacting medium of dry-point etching. John moved from drawing to dry-point printing after coming to Cambridge and, as he states, this is an unhurried process developed in the 15th-century and most suitable for the artist trained in drawing. John’s dry-point etchings focus on the theme of British wildlife, on the flora and fauna native to our isles, and he has a delightful and delicate touch when capturing the pose and poise of his subjects.

When I first came across these etchings I thought they were more like pencil drawings. The amount of detail and the use of different tones make the etchings appear realistic and almost 3D like. After coming across these images I will aim to also create a rather realistic looking etching despite my design having a cartoony look, but I will adapt my design to try and accomplish this task.

No comments:

Post a Comment