Wednesday 30 April 2014

Aesop's Fable Research 4

Etchings




In 1927, Chagall began working on another project for Vollard, a series of etchings illustrating 'The Fables of La Fontaine'.

Chagall now foregoes the application of aqua tint and use of the rocking tool; also dry point technique is scarcely evident. Instead, he does everything by means of etching, and covers the engraved surface with stopping out varnish, a combination that makes for intensive painterly effects. The etching needle draws the most delicately ramified foliage and bush patterns, the texture of plumage and soft fur, and through shadings and cross-hatchings gives a range of tonalities, from white to a deep black. Thus each picture is the result of a long series of working stages in the course of which the pictorial design in light and dark is slowly worked out in a process comparable to the building up of the colour structure in a painting.

Although Chagall's images come across very atmospheric and textured, I'm not sure if I'm a fan of how its displaying the specific fables. At a first glance I wouldn't have guessed what the fable was straight away but after studying the individual images I was able to work them out. The etchings show great depth and I'd like to be able to show that in my etchings too. I aim to make my etchings would rather pristine and have the 'carefully done' look but also present a textured and atmospheric look.

No comments:

Post a Comment